Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Livin

So I ate rabbit again last night, because I keep going to my friend Amys and her family only eats rabbit. It tastes so bad, exactly like burnt hair. I am working really hard on eating vegetables because I know that it is important atleast that is what everyone has been telling me my entire life. My goal is to eat a salad at the end of two years and maybe enjoy these salad things. I have decided I will never love goat brains or rabbit.

I went and looked at my new apartment and it is amazing. There is a western toilet, a shower, and the kitchen has a stove. These amenities may all seem like an expected for you but they are a luxury here in Morocco and all of my friends want to kill me. I have a really nice roof area too. I have decided that I am one of the most lucky peace corps volunteers in my group because I was given the best province by the beach and I will be living in style. I might even make it on Cribs Morocco. When my host dad showed me the place it kept telling him I am so happy and he responded with the phrase boom chicka wow wow. There is this comercial on NBC 2 which is an english movie channel and they say boom chicka wow wow and he has no idea what it means and I dont have the tashlheet to explain to him that it is a sexual slang, which is totally nerdy, nobody actually says that; it was funny.

So now that I have a light at the end of the tunnel knowing that I have a place to stay I am feeling a lot better about this peace corps thing. I taught my first english class at the neddy yesterday and it went really well. I felt like Laura Engles because I was teaching in a small room and everyone was packed into this room and all the girls were really excited about learning english. It was a successful lesson, which I was really nervous about.

Another interesting fact about my life that I have been meaning to discuss with you all is I have a problem with dead puppies in my village. Every week on my walk home a new puppy has taken the plunge to doggie heaven. A couple of them were killed by their mom I think and the others have been run over. Today I saw one of the puppies was walking around with a bloody stump for a leg, who knows how that happened.

Life is good here in Morocco, for the most part. This is the hardest adventure I have ever participated in and I know if I survive these next two years I will be a better person for it. bled Morocco is completely different from America.

I love you all and keep me in your prayers,
Emmy

3 comments:

Jean said...

You won't believe the comment I just wrote and lost! *!#@*$%^ computers!

I've been terrible about getting things done lately. It always seems to happen when Bruce is home, so it is, no doubt, his fault!! He and Carl are leaving tomorrow a.m. for a mission trip to Sneedville, TN, so maybe I'll get a lot done next week!!

They'll be replacing windows in a house. I'm sure they'll have to replace studs, too, so it sounds like not-too-big a job, but it will probably be huge. There's another old guy (like Carl!) on their little team. A total of nearly 90 are going, about half youth and half adults.

Meanwhile this summer, Bruce has been working for a landscaping company as a "waterboy." I like it because he has to be there at 6:30 a.m., so lying around till noon!! He likes his paychecks, and it doesn't bother him that he's the only Anglo in the company almost!!!

Ben was out for Father's Day last Sunday. he had a cracked windshield in his car, so was pretty miffed about that. He got that fixed Monday and then found he needs to have some brake work. Then he rode his motorcycle to work on Tuesday and ran out of gas on the way. Not a very good week for him!! He'll be deploying for 4 months starting in Oct., so he won't be in MN for Christmas or Sachel's wedding.

I've been doing a lot of walking. Carl and I are planning to do Mt. Kilimanjaro next January, and I'm presently in no shape for that! I also have some weight to lose again, darn it.

Maybe I should've insisted that you eat those salads when you visited in England!!! You weren't very flexible about that kind of stuff then!! But it sounds like you're doing well where you are, even if you don't look forward to meals! There's a lot to be said for eating those vegs, though!!! They generally don't taste like burnt hair!!

Have fun and make them love Americans where you are!!

jean

Don Josefson said...

Burnt hair again, huh? I wonder if they serve that in Sneedville. If you were going to name a town in the Appalachian Mountains in Tennessee would it be possible to come up with Sneedville if it didn't really exist?
I got a "new" motorcycle, too. A 1978 Kawasaki zr750, a hot rod of a bike in 1978, I'm told. On it's maiden voyage with me at the helm I rode into Bemidji via hwy 22 to 89 to hwy 2 and it went absolutely dead at Sam's Auto Body, 1 Mile past Pete's Place West and 1 Mile before the Airport. I parked it at Sam's and walked back to Bill's -Pete's Place West- and your mother had to come pick me up with the trailer. Loaded the Kawi and home. Turned out it was a fuse; Dustin, my 7th Day Adventist mechanic fixed it the next day, but home far from home do I dare go? A fuse, $10; I was figuring on $200-$300. Short trips for awhile, I guess.
Emmy, it is a good time to be in Morocco; there is no work to be had in Bemidji and the economic news is not good anywhere. My building has been completed now and I seem to be doing ok, but.....

Summer has finally arrived in Bemidji. 70s-80s all week and the Crotty's airplane sounding boat has been roaring by me in my "blue". Have 16 feet of new dock and its floating!!!

I still say it must be the Moroccan Rabbits or the cook; Debs rabbit was really quite tasty.
Maybee they are cooking it with the hair still on it and that's why...

Don Josefson said...

Just read Ben & Kari's blog, she talked about having some "chewy" chicken that turned out to be rabbit. "actually rather tasty" she said. Also talked of watching Amy teach an English class. Is this the same Amy?