Friday, June 13, 2008

Keepin on

I have noticed a drop in comments on my wall which means you are all getting as bored of me as I am. So I will try to spice things up a little and tell you about the culture here instead of my drab life.

Have you heard that Moroccans have found the cure to cancer in ants. If you eat ants and have cancer you it will go away. Also if you eat watermelon seeds and have a head ach you will be cured. Or if you rub olive oil on an aching back your achs and pains will deminish. All of these home remedies I have been told by Moroccans. It is worth a try. Mom you can start an ant colony over the summer and cure cancer!

There are many cultural differences here in Morocco to start with today on my way into Essaouira I road in a cab with sixteen other people and no we were in a car not a mini van. These cab rides are always interesting because four people will be sitting up front and one person will control the pedals; another controls the gears and the taxi driver has the steering wheel. I am surprisingly getting used to it and have come to expect having a limbs wrapped all around me when I enter these cabs. And Moroccans from the bled are not known for smelling like roses.

Yesterday I ate rabbit which tasted like burnt hair. It was horrible I am still shaking the taste from my memory.

Everyday is still a struggle and an accomplishment. For example I started yesterday totally bummed for no particular reason but I always battle the question of what have I gotten myself into. But then I taught my English class at the middle school to the teachers and had three successful conversations and ended the day on a great note. Today I am in Essaouira and enjoying every second. I will return to my house tonight and start the battle of survival again. I know I came here to become tougher and that is being done. I always forget that growing does not mean you can sit in your house and watch tv to get there. I guess you have to live life and struggle in order to grow. CSI Miami sitting on the couch just doesnt create that change I am looking for as much as I hate to admit that. I am in the process of becomming comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Homestay is going ok I have 49 more days to go and definitely counting every second. My host family is great but it is like living with any family without the love you receive from your real family. Oh yeah and a common language. But everyday gets better we are learning how to understand each other because I am sure that I am just as annoying and weird to them as they are to me.

I have been drinking my share of mint tea and at the end of everyday I have cakes of sugar hanging out on my teeth. If you think Moutain Dew contains a lot of sugar here it would be considered a diet beverage.

Keep on Keepin on
Lifes a garden
dig it

That is what I am doing keepin on, the best way I know how.

I love you all,
Emmy
Enjoy the Summer for me!

I am teaching three english classes a week, two at the neddy and

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Love! I have talked to you so many times on Google Chat I haven't left you a little message on here! It is so fun to read your blogs and hear about your crazy adventures! I CANNOT believe you ate rabbit...and that it tasted so bad I thought it tastes like chicken?? :)

Don't worry about missing summer...it still hasn't come yet! It just rains all the time, everywhere is flooding, a lot of Iowa and Wisconsin and southern MN.

I also think it is funny that the government controls what you write in your blog...I guess that shouldn't really be a big surprise though.

Did you ever get the card we sent you? Steph, Sarah and I? It was a while back?

Keep on keepin' on Emmy, life is a garden, DIG IT!! Maybe you can find some tomatoes or cucumbers in the garden:) So proud of you, keep being uncomfortable and sooner or later you will become comfortable. Love you so much, miss you so much...so proud of you!!

Chels
xoxo

Stephanie Keane said...

Hey gal! Your experiences sound so great. I don't know if I could handle having a lot of smelly people sitting with me in a Taxi. Way to go!

This spring has been so rainy. David and I finally had some people out to our house a couple of weeks ago and a huge hail storm came around. Everyones cars got dented and we have to redo the whole outside of our house. Nothing really crazy compared to the experiences you are having.

Keep working hard. Teaching english must be really fun and rewarding. How is your conversation in a different language? Keep in touch. I love you!

Don Josefson said...

Rabbit, we've eaten rabbit at the hunting shack; gramma cooked it and it tasted better than chicken, kinda like partridge. But then this was a big old bunny rabbit, not like the scrawny things that probably are found in Morocco.

The cab rides sound better than a ride on a greasy mexican bus, the blue ones remember?

Your mother and I went to Dorset and ate at the wonderful Italian Resturant tonight, and, no, we didn't order Rabbit. We had three storm warnings on the way home as well as one big storm while we were in the resturant. The lake level is back up, but you can never do anything because of the rain or the threat of rain.

Anonymous said...

Hey Em!
I can't even imagine you eating rabbit!!! I remember you wouldn't even eat that lemon pepper chicken salad that I made you at Grandma's (just cause it was green)!!! I talked to your mom not to long ago and she said you got to see your new apartment that you will be moving into in August. Sounds like things are going well for you....very proud of you!!!
love,
Kari

nikki said...

because i admire you, i will cook my smelly boy, roommate family city rat, rabbit tomorrow night. i will throw in some ants for good measure and season it with a dash of grass, complete with pesticide of course.

i will tell them its chicken.





hugs and kisses....