Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Manic Moments in Morocco

From day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute how I feel about my life is very different. I have only been living with my family for a week which amazes me I was positive it had been atleast four months but no it has only been seven days. I have been told that the first month is the hardest so here I go taking this month as scared as I have every been. I started this week, meaning seven days ago, I was maybe a little too confident that this experience would be really easy and fun; only to be slapped in the face by reality. My second day in site I called my dad at work crying my eyes out because I was so lonely and homesick and wondering what the hell have I gotten myself into. The next twenty four hours after that were a struggle; I was faced with my first goat head experiene to top it all off. I ate the smallest bite of brain which wasnt that bad but what got me was all the children in the family were devouring the scalp and eyes and jaw bones. I thanked God at this moment for my impaired peripherial vision because it was a nasty site to behold. Then my spirits rose again. Probably because I got to leave for Essaouira which is always so much fun. While I was in Essaouira I got to eat grill cheese, pizza, donuts, and drink diet coke; all while staring at the beach. I also talked to my parents that day and my brother and my grandma; needless to say Sunday was a great day. Now I am back at site and every moment is a rollercoaster but I know that I am going to be ok. My guitar is getting me through this host family experience. I might not be good at it but I need all the distractions I can get.

Yesterday I taught an English class to the teachers at the middle school which was interesting because I am not a teacher. I have friends who are and there is a reason you go to school for four years to teach because it is hard. I am teaching English with my sitemate Amy and she used to be a science teacher and she knows what she is doing and I just help her. We are hoping to start teaching another English class at the neddi; which is a place for girls to do crafts. I have also been going to the Sbitar (clinic). I am actually really lucky because I have things to do to occupy my time like going to the neddi; Sbitar; or argan cooperative (a place where they make argan oil). I had tutoring today and it was great because my tutor has money so we got to sit in comfortable couches and eat lots of good food; even if he isnt a good tutor atleast we get a break from our lives at site. Ahmed is a good tutor, I think, today was our first day.

The kids at my host family are sick and constantly have snot running down there faces; which can curb your appetite at the table. Andrew the volunteer I am replacing survived his homestay experience, with the same family, so I am sure I will; sometimes I question this.

I love you all and keep me in your prayers because this is not easy. I guess that is why I am here.

I love you
Emmy

1 comment:

nikki said...

kiizh and i enjoyed an afternoon of jump roping and jazzy hula hooping yesterday. i should have known but she ever so intelligently in her little way that she does, reminded me that the hoop was given to her by you. ...i felt a little closer to you yesterday, it was nice.

i haven't heard from you in awhile, i hope everything is going okay for you and your new family. and your flees (probably not funny, sorry).

-get skype. stay loved. miss you. get skype!

love,
nikki