Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Feelin Hot Hot Hot

The music festival was amazing the music might not have been that great but the fact that I got to dance and sing to Bob Marley songs was a very invigorating experience. I had a really fun weekend doing what I love to do most and that is going to music festivals. Who would have thought that I would find one in Morocco. The music we normally listen to sucks. It sounds like women or men scream into synthesizers. But this past weekend the music was great and sounded African.

My life at site these past couple of weeks has been good for the most part. I have started forming relationships in my site. They are still shallow but there is something. I have been teaching this English class and afterwards I go and have tea with one of the girls and speak Tashlheet. I pull a name out of my glasses case and drink tea with a different girl each Monday and Tuesday. This helps me learn the language and I get to meet their families. The girls really enjoy it and I get to learn language.

I have been sweating my ass off. It has been well over 100 degrees, I heard it was 120 the other day. But there is no such thing as airconditioning here. Whoever invented AC deserves a nobel peace prize because hot people are not happy people. I think when I get done with the Peace Corps I will bring solar powered AC to the Middle East and this will become my lifes work. But until then I will just be sweating. I can smell myself and flies have become fond of me. Showers are another thing that only come once a week, which is a long time in the heat. Everyone take a cold shower or go swimming in the lakes of Minnesota for me.

I love you
Emmy

2 comments:

Don Josefson said...

Wow, a Sweaty Josefson only taking one shower a week. Remind me of growing up in Debs, MN, where we just jumped into the clothes we wore yesterday and went out to play. Of couse, we went swimming in Myrtle Lake nearly every day.

I'm reading Fiasco about the war in Iraq and a Special Forces guy is saying "its all about the relationships" advice which the US Army goes on to ignore and alienate everyone by its heavy handedness. Earn trust, make relationships and get ideas from those who live there, Em, and you'll do fine. What has become of my political antithesis, Zach, with his ideas?

nikki said...

Hi emmy girl!

I had completely forgot that you were going to that festival... So happy to hear it was fun and went well. Its been hot here but nothing like the extremes you're dealing with. Hang in there love, at least your face is getting a tan.

I never got that package out last week but it's-a-coming. I love you and think about you everyday, emmy!

Still so proud.

-Nikki