Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Back from the Bled

The bled is what we all call the country it is similiar to those reservation towns we drive through to get to Duluth. I had a better time this time around and my family was a little better.

Nikki called me one of the nights at 3:30 AM and it was wonderful because I know my family was wondering what was happening through my mud hut ways at this hour.

I had a funny moment with my family on our day off when they asked me what my parents names were and when I got to my moms name which is Nikki they were so confused because Nikki in arabic and in Tashleheet means me or I and they were so confused when I kept saying I know I understand what you are asking but my moms real name is Nikki.

I also got to witness a Moroccan love affair which is real wierd when you arent allowed to talk to boys. On my day off I went for a walk in the fields with my host sisters and we got to this point in the walk where we just sat for a real long time. Then my host sister Suad disappeared to meet her igran (field) boyfriend. My Peace Corps friend Anneka and I were told not to say anything because Suad would get into big trouble for talking to a boy. I think I had a relationship like this when I was in third grade; Suad is 26. I asked if they kiss when they visit each other but my sister Hafida told me Moroccan girls dont do that. Oh how Americans are so different.

I find out my site on Friday morning. This is the site that I will be living in for the next two years of my life. I will keep you all informed; I know you probably are just as anxious as I am :) I will be seeing that site for the first time on Saturday.

No Sachel I have not got my donkey yet but there are a plethera to choose from here. If I get one I will definetely send you all a picture. I dont know if I will call him skipper though.

Life is good.

I love you all;
Emmy

1 comment:

Don Josefson said...

There you go!!! I've been saying for years "That's what's wrong with this country, no morals!!!!!"
Why can't American girls be more like Suad? Too much TV.