Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Q and A

Sachel has commented on my blog and brought to my attention that I have failed to tell you all what Morocco is really like. So here it goes the people are very nice but dont really know how to treat Americans. Meaning that when I go to the bled (countryside) they stare and watch every move that you make. I have been told by other volunteers you become a celebrity in your community and the surrounding communities. I have spent most of you time here in a conference room training but from my little contact with the people they are extremely nice and will take great care of me.The people in the city are different they whistle and holler at us and say bon jour because they assume we are french.

Moroccans are very conservative and dont show any skin and being a Muslim is their number one priority. It is kind of admirable the devotion they have for God here. I am very interested in learning more about the Muslim culture.
The food is ok there are a lot of vegetables because meat is expensive for the poor. I am doing good though and eating one tomatoe a day and I have dabbled with some peppers and onions and cucumbers too. I dont think I will ever get to the point of craving a salad.

I dont know exactly what my job is going to be yet but I have ideas it will range from teaching kids in schools to brush their teeth and wash their hands or I could be doing prenatal care or water projects or TB stuff. From what I gather it is up to me to decide what I am interested in, I dont know what that is yet. I am hoping to work in a weavng community and to start an association to help them sell their rugs; this is considered a secondary project.

Language I will be speaking Tashlheit which is an ancient berber language. I am working on it and no Sachel I dont sit in the corner and freak out when they speak to me. I bought a cell phone the other day in Arabic; if that proves anything.

My phone number 01121252964454 Call me anytime.

Sachel I hope I answered all of your questions.

I love you all
Emmy

I am doing good besides the fact that I am battling a cold. Back to training and sitting in that conference room; today prepares me for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Yossarian said...

Hi Emmy, Zach here.

All is well on the "home" front, however reluctant I may be to call DC home. The ole job will be done on July 1 - then we PARTAY! Actually, we look for another job for a couple months before the big move to Zlata Praha...pretty pumped for that whole thing.

Although "missed" isn't the correct term to use, you have missed quite a bit in the election season. Billary recently said that Mssr Obama can't win. This probably has something to do with either his race, gender, ties to someone nefarious, or some other reason.

Insiders/pundits are calling for her to bow out and give up, but I can't see that happening. Just think though, if Obama is elected all Americans, regardless of where they live will receive golden cars made of rainbows and feathers, and the streets will be paved with hope. All girls under 10 years old will get their very own unicorn, and young boys will be the recipients of red rider bb guns that shoot little balls of pride and wherewithal.

All jokes aside, I can't wait to move.

Crosby is getting married on 9/14/2008 to Sara. I am happy for him I think...but, let's face it, he's a terrorist and the folks reading this site need to know that. Methinks I will be in Minneap for the wedding, departing to Prague from there.

My poetry slam went pretty well last night, as most of the ethnically diverse crowd reacted well to my white middle class angst.

Have you thought of what your new name will be if you convert to Islam?

Jenny Abdula-bin-Bemidji is a good starting point for that discussion.

Give Allah a high five for me.